Wednesday, November 28, 2007

NEWS MEDIA: Really The No-Spin Zone?


Now this is a topic I know a little bit of a lot about. Being a journalism major and all. I remember that ever since I was a little kid, I've loved the news media. I was always reading a newspaper or watching the evening news. I just loved being informed, and being able to tell people stuff that they did not know.

But nowadays, I find myself wondering where the good old fashioned journalism has gone. More and more, instead of hearing about what's going on in the world around me when I turn on the TV, I'm subjected to Bill O'Reilly's random tirades about who knows what. Sometimes I wonder if journalists are being replaced with people who just have really "out there" opinions.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Journalism. I couldn't see myself doing anything else, but sometimes I wonder if there will be a need for the kind of journalist that I am in the future. People get so caught up on what Lindsay Lohan got arrested for, what Britney Spears is up to nowadays, and whether O.J. really did it---again. I, on the other hand, could care less. I care about the things that shape the way we live. I care about politics, and healthcare, and education, and the things that have a true impact on the way that my life is going to run. But am I the last of a dying breed? Should I just jump on the entertainment bandwagon and start trying to be the next host of Access Hollywood.

People say I'm a pretty funny guy, i'm pretty personable, and I ain't half bad lookin. Sometimes it seems like that's all it takes to get on TV these days. Maybe I should just be the next Keith Olbermann. I mean, I got stuff to say too. But nah... I can't do that. I can't compromise everything that I believe a journalist should be.

So until somebody cares what I have to say, I'll just continue to tell you about the little things in life. You know, the stuff like the upcoming presidential election. Or about how gas prices are continuing to climb and that we're still in war. But I'm sure people would much rather hear the big stories. You know--the ones where celebrities are caught in the middle.

Livin My Life In High Definition
-THe 4th

No comments: