Wednesday, November 28, 2007

BODY IMAGE: Just Me and The Mirror

My classmates Janai Kelley and Shaquana Harper had the topic of body image. I immediately thought, "oh great, now I have to hear about how men make women feel like crap... blah, blah, blah." I mean, and why wouldn't I think that? The first thing that popped into my head was TLC's "Unpretty." Of course, it was probably the guy who made the girl get breast implants, and its been said that girls often buy there hair to look nice for the opposite sex. But why does it have to be that way? Why can't chicks just be happy with who they are?

But I will admit that it was interesting getting my classmates perspective on body image. There was a little bit of "men vs. women-ness" going on (of course guys won) but it wasn't too bad. I got the opportunity to see things from a different perspective. The way a person perceives themself can have a paralyzing affect on the way that they live their life. A person who is not confident about their body can lead a life of fear and unacceptance. It was also interesting to hear some of the statistics about what people go through to make their body "perfect." That includes surgery, crash diets, and even starvation. I never really thought about the way that I view myself until after Janai and Shaquana's presentation. I guess it's a good thing I could care less about what other people think. lol.

Livin My Life In High Definition
-The 4th

No comments: