Wednesday, November 28, 2007

CULTURAL IDENTITIES: Is Anyone In Your Family A Terrorist?

As harsh and insensitive as it sounds, I've definitely heard the title of this blog come out of peoples mouths before. I find it so interesting sometimes how people automatically assume that just because something is different from what they believe, or what their heritage says, then it's wrong.

True story: I'm back in high school, shortly after 9/11. There was a kid that I went to school with whose first name was Osama. I was so shocked that people actually did not want to have anything to do with him. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know who the boy was before Sept. 11, 2001, but I ran into him shortly thereafter, and knew who he was because I had heard people talk about them. It's interesting to note that the terrorists who killed so many people that day were driven by the same hatred and fear that the kids at my high school were showing. People really need to get over themselves and try to see things from a different perspective. Instead of rejecting the unknown, how about we try and learn something from it? I guess maybe that just makes too much freakin sense. Then again, what do I know right? I'm just a skinny black dude who's lived on 2 continents, a few countries, and visitied dozens of cities. Little sheltered, old me.

Livin My Life In High Definition
-The 4th

No comments: